Friday, April 18, 2014

The temporary Art Studio

Everyone, and I mean everyone, needs a place to art.


 After moving from the little blue house, watching the movers pack up my studio I literally thought at one point I would stop breathing.  Dramatic, yes, I know.  That's exactly what it felt like.


I have spent countless hours in the studio after bad days and good days.  Laughing, crying singing.  The outcome was always the same.  I felt more alive, confident and at peace after I spent time in the studio.  

It was no surprise that the studio was where I would choose to "begin" in the new farmhouse.  


I have read countless design books and magazines.  I pinterest, etsy and twitter.  I'm a seeker of ideas and information like the many others.  After moving to this farmhouse the seeking stopped.  I no longer wanted to find the answers.  I wanted to create them.  I wanted them to be my own.


I shared in an earlier post that one of the main reasons I loved this old farmhouse was the third floor, unfinished space.  Most people buy homes for the kitchen, the bathrooms.  Boring.  I saw this unfinished space and I saw the potential.  I saw what it could become.   I could see the natural light, the structural changes and lots and lots of color.

Why buy a new home when you can have this!


While we figure out what the heck we're going to do with this space, I needed an interim art area. 

The room off the dining room filled the temporary need. 

I went to my organization, go-to person, Cate, and we started unpacking the studio boxes.  Box after box.  


Before I knew it, familiar and treasured trinkets were being made visible and I could feel the creative juices flowing.  I could breathe again.


Once the boxes were carefully unpacked the elements started to come together and a studio was born.  Even if it is for a short while.


At the end of the day we ended up with this. Still a bit cluttered and messy for my liking, but nonetheless a place to create effortlessly!


The next morning I awoke to laughter in the studio.  Music to my ears.  Ava and Cate were already making themselves a spot in what was considered my sanctuary.  I was fine with the scenario as each one is a constant muse. 


Where do you begin when you move into a new home?  How do you choose where to make your imprint first so that the rest of the home just flows. 

Here's the answer: go with your gut.  Find the spot that is going to inspire you.  Look at the the colors that motivated you before.  Chances are, if you loved those colors before, you're going to love them again.  Perhaps in a new way.  

Use pinterest, etsy and all the design magazines you want.  I love them all!  At the same time, remember that you know what you like and your instincts are probably right 99% of the time. Whatever you do find your soul and pour it into your home.

When I stepped foot in the studio I knew I was finally home.




No comments:

Post a Comment