Friday, October 18, 2013

Organized Chaos~ A lesson in self discovery



I walked downstairs to the studio this morning to get started. Life has been getting in the way lately so the creative juices are about ready to explode.

So many times I forget where I left off. My studio, which is my sanctuary, has been neglected lately. I've been working on a painting in my mind, but time has not been my friend in recent weeks and the actual brushstrokes remain imaginary at this point. 

I looked at the table this morning and everything came flooding back to me. I knew right where I had left off. I imagine to the rest of the world that table represents complete chaos and disorganization. To me it's organized chaos. I've found that over the years some of my best work has come from discovery amidst the mess in my studio. Had I not left a bright green paint in the middle of the table maybe it would have never made its way to the canvas. Had I not cut hexagons of various colorful fabric left in a pile, perhaps they would have never been the inspiration for an incredible pillow.

We've been in the midst of selling the blue house and everything has to be maintained...stay clean. The studio looked fantastic, but it was as if a creative road block had been put up. I couldn't find anything. The process of creative self discovery was hindered because my chaos was gone. 

I'm happy to report that this morning upon seeing the mess that be the inspiration returned and the the brushstrokes are no longer imaginary. 

I'm currently working with the architect for the new (old) house in Wisconsin. We've been talking about what elements will be necessary for the studio we are "building." The one element I can be sure of is organized chaos.




2 comments:

  1. I love you studio. I wish I had such a place to be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alisa~ I will be sad to leave it but I can't wait to create a new space.

    ReplyDelete